I’m feeling a cold coming on. No surprise considering the hours I’ve worked this month thanks to Q-end. Friday evening, I stopped at Whole Paycheck [Foods] and literally walked down the produce aisle, placing a sundry of veggies in my cart. Then I picked up a package of vegan “fake” chorizo, moseyed on over to dry good section for some Garbanzo beans and a can of plum tomatoes. Today I threw everything into a pot and Voila! [No Oil] Everything but the Kitchen Sink Soup (I didn’t know what else to call it).
- Mirepoix (Celery/Carrots/Yellow Onion)
- Daikon Radish
- Vegan Chorizo
- Baby Bella Mushrooms ~ sliced
- 1 Can Garbanzo Beans ~ rinsed
- 1 large Can of Plum Whole Tomatoes
- Water ~ 32 oz +/1
Method of Prep:
- Water Saute Mirepoix (rough chopped)
- Add rough chopped Daikon (gently peeled)
- Add sliced Vegan Chorizo
- Add sliced Baby Bella Mushrooms
- Add rinsed Garbanzo Beans
- Add plum tomatoes (crush the tomatoes with your hands as you add them to the pot)
- Fill tomato can with water, add to pot
- Add additional water (amounts vary)
- Allow to simmer until vegetables are al dente (or to your preference)
Turn off heat and add the chopped Kale.
P.s. I did not use any oil1, salt or spices in this dish as I felt the vegan chorizo contained enough sodium and spices which added a nice flavor. However, season as you see fit, if you’re so inclined to make this.
1 The reason I did not saute the mirepoix in oil is because thanks to Somer @ VedgedOut; Dr. Joel Fuhrman’s book: Eat to Live as well as Dr. Neal Barnard’s book: Reversing Diabetes (I am not a diabetic, btw) I have given up oil and all fats in my diet. I have been a no-oil vegan for 1 month and 27 days and I have to say, I feel fantastic; my digestion has improved and better yet, I have lost 6 freakin’ lbs without even trying! 🙂